The Pictures are Here! Double Click below for full screen HD!

,

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Big City Mountaineers

"Sometimes the only way to change a teen's perspective is to provide an entirely new one"

I first learned of the Summit For Someone Program in 2007 when I was chosen to head a team of five guys into the Montana Wilderness to map the Continental Divide Trail for BACKPACKER Magazine. One of those guys had just gotten back from climbing Mt. Shasta for the program. All week long and on the trail he regaled us with stories of how he received a mountain of gear in a large box just like Christmas. He couldn't stop talking about how transformative a program it was for both him and the kids that it would benefit. I am an avid backpacker and outdoors man and I had always wanted to make the transition to climbing mountains. Here was a clear cut program that not only gave me the opportunity to learn the sport of Mountaineering, but way to give back to the community and make a difference in someones life at the same time. I knew then and there that this was for me.

Based out of Boulder Colorado, Big City Mountaineers (BCM) was founded on the principal that a one to one ratio mentoring experience is the best vehicle for providing self esteem and guidance for inner city youth. What better way to do so then in the great outdoors? Wide open space is something of which most of these teens do not get an opportunity to experience. Their main program is called R.E.L.A.T.E. (Recreational Experiences Linking Adults & Teens Environmentally) which matches five adult mentors with five teens for a week long single-gender backpacking or canoeing trip. These trips provide teens with opportunities to cultivate relationships with caring adult mentors promoting self awareness, self-efficacy, and communication. They then follow this program up with their G.O. program. These consist of one day programs which usually involve climbing, mountain biking, or snowshoeing. They are designed as a follow up to the R.E.L.A.T.E program and are a way for the kids to continue the relationship with their mentor. From there they can enter their G.O.A.LS program where the alumni kids can move into a leadership role with in the BCM organization. In 2008, BCM delivered more than 2500 program days to teens across the country. This time is almost matched by volunteers that help run the program. Learn more by clicking here.

Created six years ago, the Summit For Someone (SFS) program is their main source of income. SFS climbs contribute to about 61% of their annual operating budget. And a whopping 100% of the SFS programs proceeds go directly to benefit Big City Mountaineers. Without this fundraiser they would simply not be able to survive. Since all of us climbers are volunteers their operations are low. If you were to contribute one dollar to my climb-$.77 goes directly to BCM and only $.23 of that dollar goes to operating the SFS program.

When I was a kid I had the fortune of having a complete family structure and woods outside my back yard to play in. I would spend days in those woods running around and building forts with my older siblings only to be recalled back for dinner by our screaming mother. (how trusting they were back then). At the time I was just being a kid. However, when I look back on it now I was learning self reliance in the great outdoors with those that were older than me. Now its my turn to be the older person and give back.

Help Big City Mountaineers do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment