The Pictures are Here! Double Click below for full screen HD!

,

Sunday, January 17, 2010

There is Will, There is Way

"If we are sometimes at pain when realizing within what narrow range of latitude mankind reaches finer development it is added humiliation to experience our marked limitation in altitude. At fourteen thousand feet, little is left me but bodily appetite and impression of sense"

-Clarence King 1873

In 1873, Clarence King, then a young man of twenty nine, had finally attained his goal. He was standing on "The highest peak in all the land". Many years before in 1864, while serving on the California State Geological Survey he had spotted that same peak from six miles north atop Mount Tyndall-a peak he had thought at the time to be the highest. Upon discovering a higher peak to the south he named this high peek in honor of his survey leader Professor Josiah Dwight Whitney. Three attempts and nine years later Clarence King would finally set foot upon the summit of "Mt. Whitney" on a clear day in September 1873.

Little was known about mountaineering in those days. If someone wanted to climb a mountain all they needed was a rope and will to go. Nobody had been there before so there was no precedence or standards to guide you. There was no safety equipment or guides to provide safe passage. Every step taken on such a journey was a fine line between failing and succeeding. King was a unique individual in the fact that he faced the unknown with great stride and imagination. He simply looked up and through the great sea of precipice, stone, and danger he found a way to the top. Such singular vision is motivation for great accomplishments.

A little over three weeks ago I signed on to such a journey. In late April of this year I will attempt what Mr. King took three tries to do. But this time the route is laid out and I will have the knowledge of hundreds of people before me to get me there. This time, however, I will only have one try to do it. For many having one try at all is enough to change a life. My motivation is not the singular glory of accomplishment but a bigger cause: those unfortunate enough to not have the opportunity to try.

In the next four months I will train, attain the necessary equipment, and raise money for a Summit For Someone benefit climb of Mt. Whitney. The funds I raise will support Big City Mountaineers who mentor inner city youth on wilderness trips throughout the country. Like King my challenge is the same. I have never climbed a mountain of this stature before. To train, raise funds and gear up in the time allowed will be a difficult journey.

From where I sit now I do not know the path to the end of all this. But like King before me I must try. Join me as I make this journey. These pages will be for you-all those that support me in this cause.

I propose to make this an active discussion medium. So chime in and lets start the climb together.

-Swargo

No comments:

Post a Comment