
As with any quest the line that takes you there is not always forward. Sometimes you have to take a few steps backward to start moving forward again. I received word today that my good friend Matt Wilson will not be making the climb with me. Matt is a good friend of mine from college. He living in Denver, Colorado and I NYC, we had been talking about doing Summit For Someone for several years. We had always wanted to strengthen our mutual love of the outdoors by bridging the miles between with a mutual cause. This Christmas when he had phoned me up and said that he had gotten a green light from his doctor and had signed up for the same climb as myself I couldn't have been more elated. My decision to pursue this goal seemed somewhat vindicated. Here was a chance to spend some quality time together doing what we both love best. Here was a chance to have someone else to bounce ideas off of and to motivate each other to the top. People rarely accomplish great things solely on their own. They often have the support of their family and friends to get them there. I was lucky enough to have a good friend walk with me to the top.
Matt has a medical condition in which puts his chances of climbing with me very unlikely now. At this point I don't know if he will climb this year or perhaps the next but we can still support each other. We just won't be standing on that mountain together. He still is raising money for the cause and if you wish to support him
click here. It's not life threatening but I wish him a speedy recovery.
We can spend our lives accomplishing one goal after another but if those accomplishments are not shared in the company of good friends or family then at times those pursuits can almost feel hollow. It's of course not. However I can't help but feel that way sometimes. I shall continue to move forward as I always do. Alone and persistent. There is nowhere to go but up. I will climb for both us Matt.
No comments:
Post a Comment