Fortunately for me, -or unfortunately depending on the way you look at it-there has been 150 years of advancement (or de-advancement) in the field and in what you can bring with you to those hard to reach places.
Had I a chance I would have happily lended Mr. King my Garmond GPS. Perhaps then he would have set foot upon the right summit.
For the past two months I have slowly been researching the right gear. Most of it came to my house the other day in a big box resembling Christmas. It was as it turned out a bit more synthetic and plastic than what King would have imagined. But what I have to imagine is do I really need all this? There are gaiters, helmets, ice axes and fleeces. Pocket knives, backpacks and a sleeping bag. A carabiner, a climbing harness and a pair of snow shoes. I know own enough layers to clothe a small army. It literally fills up my entire dinning room. Yet.... somehow I am supposed to schlep all of this on my back, up the tallest mountain in the lower 48, and into the thinnest air I have ever breathed? Isn't some of the point of this to be freed from all that binds us?
Perhaps I am forgetting something here.
The most important piece of gear that I could possible take with me are my own two feet. After all they are what will carry me into this predicament and will, with a bit of luck, carry me out. And thanks to EMS I am now the proud owner of a pair of Scarpa Omega Mountaineering boots to protect them. The number one rule in the wilderness is to protect your feet. And I have paid healthy to do so.
For all I care I could go naked now, just as long as I have my boots on. Try that one on for size Mr. Clarence King.
No comments:
Post a Comment